Umbrella Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are your centres located?

Umbrella Family and Child Centres are located within schools operated by the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board. Please visit our Locations Tab for a list of centres.

What is the process for registration?

Parents/guardians who are interested in registering their child in an Umbrella program will be invited to tour the program with the Supervisor or designate. If parents are then interested in registering in the program, a full enrollment package will be given and a date will be set up for orientation/play visits.

During the orientation/play visits, teachers will have an opportunity to observe the child interacting with others, providing them with information to determine the level of support the child may require in adjusting to the program.

When a space is available, families who register for programs are required to pay a one-time, non-refundable administrative fee, of $25.00 per child. This will be payable with the first weeks fees.

After the child has been attending for six weeks, an opportunity will be provided for the Supervisor, staff member(s) and parents/guardians to discuss the child’s adjustment to the program. This provides both parties with an opportunity to ask questions, share information and ideas, and determine whether the centre is able to meet the child and his/her family’s needs.

When all spaces in Umbrella Family and Child Centres (UFCC) are full, UFCC is committed to maintaining a wait list that ensures respect for each family and maintains their confidentiality. This is done in a fair, equitable and transparent manner. Parents may request information as to their child’s position on the wait list at any time.

In accordance with the Collective Agreement between UFCC and CUPE Local 3491, priority is given to employees’ children on the wait list. Whenever possible, priority is also given to siblings of children already registered in an UFCC program or to children transferring from one UFCC program to another.

Umbrella Family and Child Care Centre does not request or require a fee or deposit from families for placement on the wait list.

How much will it cost to send my child to child care?

Please see our online fee schedules.

Do I have to pay for vacation and statutory holidays?

Please refer to our fee policies. If you have any further questions on these policies, please speak to your centre Supervisor regarding our policy on payment during these periods.

What is your part-time payment policy?

Preference will be given to children requiring care five days per week. When space permits, centres may be able to meet the needs of families requiring part-time care in the following ways:

  • whenever possible, supervisors will enroll children so that 2 children requiring part-time care share one spot in the program;
  • when Supervisors are not able to share a spot between 2 children, the parent will be responsible for paying for a minimum of 3 days of care per week, despite their individual care requirements
  • should another family express interest in full-time and there is no other appropriate space in the program, the parents/guardians of children attending part-time will be notified that another family needs their childcare space. At that time, the family will have an opportunity to increase their child’s enrollment from part-time to full-time, or withdraw from the program

Do you offer care during Summer Break, March Break, P.A. Days and Christmas Break?

Yes, we run Summer Day Camp, March Break Camp, Christmas Break and P.A. Day programs.

What do I do if my child is going to be absent from his/her child care?

You need to call the centre your child attends directly and report the absence to one of the staff.

Will I still have to pay if my child is absent due to illness?

Yes, we require payment even if your child is absent due to illness.

Do I get a tax receipt and when it is issued?

Yes. Tax receipts are issued yearly by February 28th by each individual centre and mailed to your home address. If you child has attended more than one centre, you will receive more than one tax receipt.

How do I get a subsidy for my child care?

For information on subsidy please visit our Subsidy Information page.

How can I participate in my child’s child care centre?

  • Join the Parent Advisory Committee/Attend the Neighbourhood Night Meeting
  • Donate gently used items
  • Become an Umbrella Board of Director’s Parent Representative
  • Fill out Parent Surveys
  • Attend special events at your child’s centre

Back to top