Umbrella Family and Child Centres of Hamilton offers high-quality early learning and child care to over 1,300 children each day, ranging in age from 18 months to 12 years. Currently, we operate 26 programs in Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board elementary schools, and take pride in our reputation for providing children and their families a ‘seamless day’ – care and education ‘under one roof’!
We are a non-profit corporation, administered by a community-based board of directors, which is comprised of Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board trustees and staff members, as well as members of the community who have a keen interest in early learning and child care.
In Umbrella Family and Child Centres, we strive to:
- Provide play experiences that enhance the development of the whole child
- Encourage the child to explore and discover their world in a warm and nurturing environment
- Provide a supportive environment in which children are encouraged to increase independence at a comfortable pace
- Support physical development by encouraging movement activities as well as proper nutrition and healthy daily care routine
- Support social development by modeling and encouraging appropriate communication, promoting opportunities for sharing and cooperating, building children’s communication skills through positive role modeling
- Create an inclusive environment for all people – both children and adults – demonstrating respect for one another regardless of their culture, race, religion or gender